Wizards and Witches: it’s time to go back to Hogwarts! Universal Orlando opening date has been approved by the Florida Govornor. School- errr, the theme park- is in session starting June 5th for the general public. Here’s what you need to know before you pack your robes and wands. Don’t forget your face mask! Because, yes, they will be required.
Alohomora! Universal Orlando Opening June 5th
While the global health concerns are still being taken seriously, the Florida government and Universal Orlando have come to an agreement on how to proceed with theme park reopening.
On May 21, Universal Orlando presented its plan to the Orange County Economic Recovery Task Force where it was unanimously approved. The Orlando Mayor approved it that evening and the Governor gave the go-ahead on May 22.
This makes Universal Orlando the first major theme park and tourist destination to open in Central Florida.
How will they do it? Universal Orlando plans to manage and control attendance with a staggered opening of the parks. This is the key to bringing guests and team members safely back to the parks.
Universal Orlando Opening Dates
Team Members (employees) will undergo training as soon as this weekend, with Team Member previews of the park happening on June 1 and 2.
June 3 and 4 will see a limited number of invited guests welcomed to the park- possibly including some Annual Passholders.
The public opening will be on June 5, with Universal continuing to manage daily attendance.
Universal Orlando: What’s Opening and What Are The Park Hours?
Universal Studios Florida, Universal’s Islands of Adventure and Universal’s Volcano Bay will open to the public beginning June 5 with limited attendance.
Universal CityWalk will continue its limited operation with additional venues and extended hours
Available attractions, experiences, and venues will be shared soon.
HOURS OF OPERATION (subject to change)
Universal Studios Florida
9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Universal’s Islands of Adventure
9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
Universal’s Volcano Bay
10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Universal CityWalk Orlando
8 a.m. – 10 p.m.
The Three S’s You Need To Know: Screening, Sanitation and Spacing
Some of the operational plans that are in place include the following screening, sanitation and spacing efforts.
- All team members will undergo temperature checks and wear face coverings
- All team members will participate in training on new procedures
- Increasing already-aggressive cleaning and disinfection procedures, and frequently cleaning all high-touch surfaces
- Limiting capacity and following social distancing guidelines throughout all attractions, restaurants and shops throughout the destination
In addition, guests will be asked to do the following:
- Everyone will be required to wear a face-covering during their visit. If a guest doesn’t have a face covering, we’ll have them available for purchase.
- We encourage guests to follow CDC guidelines and conduct temperature checks prior to arrival.
- We will also implement temperature checks for each guest prior to their arrival to the theme parks and Universal CityWalk. If a guest has a temperature of 100.4 degrees or greater, they will not be able to enter.
In-Park Changes At Universal Orlando for 2020 Re-Opening
Additional precuations are in place for this re-opening of Universal Orlando.
- Staggered parking
- Managed and reduced attraction ridership, show attendance, and restaurant seating. Some areas and events may remain closed for now.
- Increased cleaning and disinfection of food locations, ride vehicles, restrooms and other frequent “touch points”.
- Social distancing practices at all locations through the parks, within attractions and queues and at restaurants
- Use of virtual lines at select attractions
- Cashless payments and “no-touch” policies where possible
Did you catch that virtual lines at select attractions?
I am SO down with this and hope it becomes a norm. I love the way it was implemented with the Jimmy Fallon Race Through New York ride and just hope Hagrid’s Magical Creatures and Motorbike Adventure is on that list!
Universal Resorts and Hotels Opening Details
This post will be updated with that information when it becomes available.
More Universal Posts You’ll Love
Patty Holliday is a Marvel loving, Disney obsessed wife, and mother of four. She’s a travel agent specializing in Disney & Universal vacations- and loves a candid confession. Find her in Virginia (or anywhere frequent flyer miles or her trusty minivan takes her.)