Thanksgiving is our absolute FAVORITE day of the year. To steal a little from Joey Tribbiani- Food: good. Friends: good. Family: good. If you’re spending the day hanging out, but want to add a short workout in to stay on track: the No-Guilt HIIT Thanksgiving workout is for you.
What Is HIIT?
HIIT stands for High-Intensity Interval Training.
Think short bursts of repeated movements in a pattern.
Think of it as a turbo boost to your day. They are typically short in time but high in intensity, making sure your heart rate and metabolism are revved.
And HIIT is a great way to make sure you enjoy your holiday season.
Why Do You Want To Do A Thanksgiving HIIT Workout?
Need a reason to get away from the uncle who insists on talking politics?
Can’t stand watching (another) football game? Tired of Thanksgiving movies?
Just trying to stay awake until round two of the pumpkin pie takes place?
Slept in and missed your Turkey Trot?
Those are all great reasons to bookmark this workout and get to it when you can carve out 20-25 minutes of time during your Thanksgiving day.
What are some bad reasons to incorporate a workout on Thanksgiving?
- wanting to burn excess calories to really enjoy your Thanksgiving meal
- wanting to get more food without any guilt
- you feel you HAVE to or your day will be ruined
We don’t believe in that nonsense; you definitely do not need to punish yourself before eating any meal! But we do think sometimes you need to blow off a little extra energy, especially during potentially high tension holidays like Thanksgiving.
And that’s why we put together this easy and quick workout for Thanksging. You can even have the kids join you!
Before doing any exercise program, consult your doctor as this post should not be taken as medical advice.
No-Guilt Thanksgiving HIIT Workout Options
If you can get the whole family together, it makes it even more fun.
But- sometimes (cough cough) you just need a good 20-30 minutes alone with your sweat and your timer.
Let’s HIIT it!
HIIT Appetizer: Workout For Beginners
All fitness levels should be able to complete this workout.
- 10 pushups
- 20 jump lunges
- 20 bicycle abs
- 20 jump squats
- 10 Superman
- 10 Burpees
Try to complete 3 rounds within 30 minutes. The key is to keep the workout going to get the most of your high intensity interval training.
HIIT Entree: Workout for Intermediates
- 60 second plank
- 20 alternating lunges (awesome for the lower body!)
- 20 squats
- 15 situps
- 20 mountain climbers
- 10 pushups
- 30 jump squats
- 10 Burpees
Try to complete 3 rounds within 30 minutes.
HIIT Dessert: Workout For The Ab Lovers
- tricep dips
- dumbell swings
- seated Russian twists
- alternating lunges
Do each exercise for 45 seconds with 15 seconds of rest in between each exercise.
Try to complete 4-5 rounds, resting 60 seconds between each round.
Other Fun Workouts For Thanksgiving
1. If you’re watching football, institute a pushup penalty rule. Every time a team racks up a penalty, the room does pushups.
2. Donate your fitness with charity workouts. Challenge the family to a situp or lunge challenge. Whoever can do the most movements gets to pick the chairty the whole family donates to on Thanksgiving Day.
3. Dial-up some on-demand workouts on Youtube. If you really aren’t feeling any of these ideas, go ahead and Google other options. You’re sure to find some on-demand classes that are short and sweet and make you sweat!
4. Challenge the family to a game of flag football or pickup basketball. The movies always make it look so fun- so why not give it a try?
A little physical activity and quality time with family can be an easy way to make your Thanksgiving morning perfect this year.
We know this time of year can be hard to keep your fitness on track. And if you fall off, hey, you aren’t alone.
However, if you’re feeling like you have it in you to keep to your fitness routine, this HIIT Thanksgiving workout is an awesome way to do it.
Happy Thanksgiving- enjoy your Turkey Day!
More Posts You’ll Love
Patty Holliday is the owner and creator of all things No-Guilt Universe. As a lifelong fangirl and pop culture connoisseur, she’s been creating online since 2009. You can find her work at No-Guilt Disney.com, No-Guilt Fangirl.com, No-Guilt Life, and as host of the top-rated No-Guilt Disney Podcast.