If there’s one thing I can’t get enough of around here- especially during the summer- it’s avocados. Honestly, I often eat a full one in a sitting so these tips to keep your avocado from turning brown aren’t always something I need to use. However- I thought I’d share with the class! Affiliate links included in this post.
How To Keep Your Avocado From Turning Brown
There are ways, my friends, to keep your avocado from turning brown. And these babies are precious- and, uh, costly right now!- so you know you can’t afford to let them go bad.
Literally can’t afford it.
I found a few ways to keep your fruit as fresh as can be until your next recipe or meal calls for some extra avocado courtesy of one of my Keto lovers Facebook groups. We eat a lot of avocados when on the keto diet!
Let me know if you use any of these tips- or if you have another one you’d like to share.
I’m going to make this killer avocado dip a lot this summer- how about you?
Tips to Keep Your Avocados From Turning Brown
- Cut your fruit in half. Fill a glass with water- you’ll want this one to be mostly full. Turn it upside down and let it sit in the water (the fruit or flesh side down, skin side up). Cover, place in the fridge. You’ll get about 2 more days out of this one!
- Wrap it in press and seal. Voila!
- Slice an onion and put it in a glass or plastic container. Put the avocado on top of the onion, face up (like the picture below). Put a lid on it- and yes, this works!
- Wet a paper towel and stuff it in the avocado where the pit would go. Store on a plate in the fridge and you’re good to go for a few days.
- A low tech option: put the avocado in a sandwich bag and suck out the air with your mouth. Create your own vacuum seal!
- Add a little lemon juice to any of these methods and it will last even longer! It’s a sure-fire way to keep your avocado from turning brown.
- Leave the pit in! Or drop it in your bowl of guacamole. It helps keep things green just a bit longer.
But again, who’s really leaving extra avocado around for it to go bad anyway? Ha! Not me!
If you need another yummy way to eat avocados, check out the baked eggs in avocados recipe. Atkins & Keto friendly!
Patty Holliday is a Marvel loving, Disney obsessed wife, and mother of four. She’s a travel agent specializing in Disney & Universal vacations- and loves a candid confession. Find her in Virginia (or anywhere frequent flyer miles or her trusty minivan takes her.)