tick, tick… BOOM is the hit musical by Jonathan Larson. It’s now been turned into a movie directed by Lin-Manuel Miranda and is playing on Netflix (non-stop in this house!). It will get inside your head and live there RENT-free (see what we did there?), trust me! If you’ve been thinking about the movie as we have, you’ll want to “stop the clock- take time out. Freeze the frame…” and read these movie quotes from tick, tick… BOOM. You can also check this parent guide to decide if tick tick BOOM is safe for kids in your house!
About tick, tick… BOOM!
Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winner Lin-Manuel Miranda makes his feature directorial debut with tick, tick…BOOM!, an adaptation of the autobiographical musical by Jonathan Larson, who revolutionized theater as the creator of Rent.
The film follows Jon (Academy Award nominee and Tony Award winner Andrew Garfield), a young theater composer who’s waiting tables at a New York City diner in 1990 while writing what he hopes will be the next great American musical.
Days before he’s due to showcase his work in a make-or-break performance, Jon is feeling the pressure from everywhere: from his girlfriend Susan, who dreams of an artistic life beyond New York City; from his friend Michael, who has moved on from his dream to a life of financial security; amidst an artistic community being ravaged by the AIDS epidemic.
With the clock ticking, Jon is at a crossroads and faces the question everyone must reckon with: What are we meant to do with the time we have?
You can watch the tick, tick… BOOM! trailer here.
Freeze the Frame… And Read These Quotes From tick, tick… BOOM!
- This is Jonathan Larson’s story. Before the Tony Awards, before the Pulitzer Prize. Before we lost him. Everything you are about to see is true. Except for the part he made up. –Susan
- Lately, I’ve been hearing this sound everywhere I go. Like A Tick, Tick, Tick. – Jon
- The sound you are hearing is not a technical problem. It is not a musical cue. It is not a joke. It is the sound of one man’s mounting anxiety. I am that man. –Jon
- I should have kids of my own by now, a career, but instead I’ve been ‘promising’ for so long I’m afraid I’m starting to break the f@cking promise. –Jon
- You look great!- Jon
I know, right? – Freddie
- What is the point of money, if you’re not going to spend it on the people that you love?
- So what am I supposed to do now? – Jon
You start writing the next one. And after you finish that one, you start on the next. And on and on, and that’s what it is to be a writer, honey. – Rosa
- Everyone’s unhappy in New York. That’s what New York is! – Jon
- You Just Keep Throwing Them Against The Wall, Hoping Against Hope That Eventually Something Sticks. – Rosa
- I think this is a musical that knows exactly what it is. -Stephen Sondheim
Michael’s Best Lines and Quotes From tick, tick… Boom!
- Write the song, boo boo. – Michael
- I’m HIV+. I think I may know a thing or two about running out of time. – Michael
- Are you letting yourself be led by fear or by love? – Michael movie quotes from tick tick Boom!
- It would be a tragedy to give up what you have. –Michael
- You know for someone who is broke, you could probably spend a little less on party planning. -Michael
- WOW, the Berkshires. That’s so far from Midtown. – Michael
More Movie and TV Quotes You’ll Love
- Movie Quotes From King Richard That Are ACES
- BEST Movie Quotes From Ghostbusters: Afterlife that Came, Saw and Kicked A!
- Kate Bishop Quotes From The Hawkeye Series That Land True
- I’m Vengeance- Best Quotes From The Batman (2022)
- Thrilling Quotes From Last Night In SoHo
- Spicy Movie Quotes From Dune (2021)
- Deathly Dark Joe Quotes From YOU On Netflix
- Chilling Movie Quotes From Halloween Kills
- Favorite Marvel Movie Quotes From Eternals