Protein all day is how I roll. ?It’s what works for me from an energy standpoint as well as a weight loss catalyst.
I was not exactly shocked to hear that American’s aren’t eating enough protein in general. ?But I was surprised to learn that we are slacking big time in our morning protein choices.
I get it. ?It’s hard to find nutritious protein options. ?Did you know that many nutrition experts recommend 25-30 grams of protein at every meal, but Americans are looking at around 13 grams for breakfast.
That’s not enough, y’all!
Let’s see how we can do something about that. ?The simplest way I can think to add protein is to add milk to your morning meals. ?#mymorningprotein
Here are a few meals incorporating an 8-ounce glass of milk- which gives you 8 grams of protein– that I use as my go-to before noon each day.
Oatmeal. ?The packet says to add water; I say ADD MILK!
It’s smoother, creamier, and adds some high-quality protein to the mix.
I finish the rest of the glass on its own!
Eggs.? I’m a big egg eater, especially in the mornings.
But I also love hard boiled eggs as a snack and add that glass of milk to help wash them down.
That’s eight additional grams of protein in the 8-ounces of milk. ?And it’s delish!
Smoothie. ?As a mom on the go, grabbing my morning protein can be a challenge. ?But making a smoothie with milk is NOT a challenge.
Here’s my quick and easy recipe for a nutritious milk and berry smoothie.
Very Berry Milk Smoothie
- 8-ounce glass of milk (8 grams of protein)
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (17 grams of protein)
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed berries
- One packet Stevia (or another sweetener)
The instructions are simple: throw it all in a blender.
60-seconds later you’ll have a delicious milk smoothie that’s ready to take out the door.
Boom. ?Mom wins.
If you want to check for additional ideas on how to get #mymorningprotein in, click on over to?Milk Life.
Alright, now that you are getting some good ideas about adding protein to your mornings (don’t forget to aim for 25-30 grams each meal!), how about a giveaway? ?Milk Life is hosting this one with fantastic prizes for TWO winners.
- Prize:?TWO winners will receive ONE each FitBit Flex (retail $99.99)
- Contest entrants are only eligible to win once per sweepstake, per household as a part of a campaign sponsored by Influence Central and must reside in the United States.
- Contest starts on January 21, 2016, and ends on February 5, 2016, at 12:00 am MT.
- Enter through the Rafflecopter widget.? The winner will be chosen via Rafflecopter and notified via email provided to Rafflecopter.? The winner has two days to respond, or they forfeit and another winner will be selected.
 What We Eat in America, NHANES 2009-2010.
2 Layman D. Dietary guidelines should reflect new understandings about adult protein needs. Nutr Metab. 2009; 6: 12.
Patty Holliday is a Marvel loving, Disney obsessed wife, and mother of four. She’s a travel agent specializing in Disney & Universal vacations- and loves a candid confession. Find her in Virginia (or anywhere frequent flyer miles or her trusty minivan takes her.)