In runDisney circles, the Castaway Cay 5K has been called the most expensive and exclusive 5K race EVER. You have to pay for your cruise, then sign up for the “free” race. In true Disney fashion, runDisney has plussed the Castaway Cay 5K with a new challenge: Disney Castaway Cay Challenge!
From the runDisney blog:
This inaugural event will combine any eligible race during Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend plus the Disney Castaway Cay 5K during the January 12 sailing from Port Canaveral, FL on the Disney Dream, hosted on Disney Cruise Line’s private island, Castaway Cay! Complete both races within the pacing requirements and you’ll earn the Inaugural Disney Castaway Cay Challenge Medal in addition to your Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend and Castaway Cay 5K finisher medals.
Which races are eligible, you ask? Any race that includes a distance of 5K or longer. So, complete the Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, 5K, or either of the Goofy and Dopey Challenges, and you’re eligible to enter the Disney Castaway Cay Challenge!
Registration opens on May 23 at noon. It will cost $40 for this inaugural event. Oh, and you have to pay for that whole cruise thing! Let’s not forget THAT part.
Castaway Cay 5K Highlights
- 3.1 mile course through Disney Castaway Cay, Disney Cruise Lines’ private island in the Bahamas
- Course runs past sparkling lagoons, the harbor, and white sandy beaches
- Surprise Disney magical moments and entertainment on-course
Castaway Cay Participants Receive:
- Castaway Cay Challenge Inaugural Event T-Shirt
- Commemorative Castaway Cay 5K Finisher Medallion
- Commemorative Inaugural Castaway Cay Challenge Finisher Medal for participating in one Walt Disney World® Marathon Weekend 5K or longer event PLUS the Castaway Cay 5K
- Post-race refreshments
- Exciting Activities and access to Special Merchandise on board Disney Cruise Line
- Featured Healthy Menu Options on board Disney Cruise Line
|Photo: Moms Magical Miles|
DisBroad Amy ran the Castaway Cay 5K a couple years ago. Be sure to check her review here. Spoiler alert: She wasn’t really a fan of the whole thing.
Anyone kinda- okay, really- annoyed at the last minute announcement? This might have been good information a month ago, you know, before people signed up and sold out the Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend. Dopey runners are looking at taking 2 weeks off work. Hey- they ARE Dopey after all! This isn’t a stretch that they will try to make it happen. Oh Boy Oh Boy!
Do you NEED to do this? Talk to my girl Jenn Greene at Destinations in Florida for a cruise quote today! She can take care of you from land to sea and back again with special rates at Walt Disney World. She can work her magic and YOU can sit back and enjoy your trip.
Are you in for a little Disney Cruise Line action after Marathon weekend? Have you run the Castaway 5K before?
Patty Holliday is a Marvel loving, Disney obsessed wife, and mother of four. She’s a travel agent specializing in Disney & Universal vacations- and loves a candid confession. Find her in Virginia (or anywhere frequent flyer miles or her trusty minivan takes her.)