Last weekend was the inaugural 5K from Running Universal at Universal Studios Hollywood. The Minions were out in full force as guests raced through the park and back lot. Universal Studios Hollywood announced a new race coming this fall: The Jurassic World 5K and kids Raptor Run 1K!
Running Universal at Universal Studios Hollywood! New Race Announced
Universal Studios Hollywood has entered the world of running through theme parks with the Inaugural Minion 5K that took place last weekend.
According to my heavy runner friendly social media feed, guests had a blast! And I didn’t even hear too many complaints about the few back lot hills they had to traverse.
That’s some Hollywood magic, right there.
Running Universal was a success!
Were there corrals at the Universal Studios Hollywood 5K?
Runners were seeded and released in corrals just like most races.
And most reported that it was well done without too much crowding on the course!
Was the Universal Studios Hollywood 5K Timed?
While this was themed as a fun run, the event was indeed timed.
Participants were asked to maintain a 17-minute mile through the park.
Results can be found on the Running Universal website.
Can Runners Wear Costumes for the Universal 5K Race?
Costumes were encouraged as long as they fell within the race costume guidelines.
From the Running Universal website
All participants and their guests are encouraged to dress as their favorite character. For the safety and enjoyment of all guests, the following guidelines must be followed:
- Costumes must be family-friendly and may not be obstructive, offensive, objectionable or violent.
- Guests who dress like characters may not pose for pictures or sign autographs for other guests.
- Costumes may not contain sharp objects, pointed objects or materials that may accidentally strike another guest.
- Costumes may not contain any weapons which resemble or could easily be mistaken for an actual weapon.
- Costumes that could conceal prohibited items are not permitted.
- Costumes that surround the entire body are not permitted.
- Costumes may not reach or drag on the ground (i.e. wizard robes).
- Capes may be worn if the length does not go below the waist.
- Themed T-shirts, sweatshirts, and hats are acceptable.
- Acceptable accessories include: soft unicorn horn, wizard scarves and tutus. Headwear may be worn as long as it does not cover the face.
- Unless for religious or medical reasons, guests may not wear any covering (i.e masks) that fully or partially obscures a person’s face.
Guests who do not adhere to these guidelines may be refused entry into, and/or removed from the race or any race-related activity unless their costume can be modified to meet the above standards.
Please note: while costume attire may be worn during Running Universal events, guests are not permitted to wear costumes in the Theme Park post-race.
Did Runners Recieve Medals at the 5K Finish?
You know they did! And they are adorable.
Minion medals with a spinning component. Universal Studios Hollywood made sure these inaugural medals were worth running for!
The medals were included with the registration fee as well as the following:
- Minion 5K Bib with timing chip
- Running Universal™ 5K T-shirt
- Collectible Minion pin
- Post-race beverages and refreshments
- Complimentary General Parking*
- Custom digital finisher certificate
- Opportunity to purchase entry to Universal Studios Hollywood™ Theme Park at an exclusive Running Universal price, including Early Park Admission
Will There Be Another Hollywood Universal Studios Fun Run?
Glad you asked!
The second run is planned for November 16, 2019. If you’re planning on a one day visit to Hollywood this fall, make sure you don’t miss this race!
This one will be themed as the Jurassic World 5K and kids Raptor Run 1K.
Registration details are coming and you know I’ll keep you updated on this exciting race series.
Did you run the Inaugural Race at Universal Studios Hollywood? What did you think? Would you recommend this to runDisney fanatics?
6 Ways Universal Studios Hollywood Beats Disneyland
Yup, I said it. Universal Studios Hollywood beats Disneyland in a number of ways. Here's my list!Continue Reading
11 TV Shows & Movies to Watch Before Your Universal Orlando Vacation
Prep before your next Universal Studios vacation: all the movies and tv shows you need to watch.Continue Reading
What You'll Find At Universal Studios Hollywood Christmas
If you're visiting Universal Studios Hollywood at Christmas, here are the stops you don't want to miss!Continue Reading
Running Universal: Universal Studios Hollywood Fun Runs
Do you run for Bananas? The Minion 5K might be what you are looking for at Universal Studios Hollywood.Continue Reading
One Day In Hollywood To Tourist It Up
If you're going to Hollywood for one day, make sure you check out these tips!Continue Reading
Patty Holliday is a Marvel loving, Disney obsessed wife, and mother of four. She’s a travel agent specializing in Disney & Universal vacations- and loves a candid confession. Find her in Virginia (or anywhere frequent flyer miles or her trusty minivan takes her.)