Believe it or not, it’s been 30 years since we first went under the sea with Ariel! To celebrate, Disney Animation Studios released The Little Mermaid Blu-ray and digital download. We recieved a preview Blu-ray disk this week and had so much fun checking out The Little Mermaid Blu-ray bonus features. And these are some of the best bonus features I’ve seen by far!
The Little Mermaid Blu-ray Out of the Vault and Under the Sea!
As a child of the 80s, The Little Mermaid was one of the movies I saw in the theaters. Yup, if you want to do the math that will tell you just how old I’m feeling these days.
So… let’s just skip that part. You’re only as old as you feel! And loving all things Disney, I am convinced, is the fountain of youth.
But I digress: we’re here to talk about The Little Mermaid and why you need to go ahead and order your Blu-ray or digital download today.
Not only are the classic story & songs as beautiful today as they were 30 years ago, but this Blu-ray is loaded with all kinds of Dis-nerd exclusive content.
I settled in to watch with my daughters and was delighted when my sons joined in. If the bonus features could grab their attention away from video games, you know this stuff is gold!
Don’t Miss! The Little Mermaid Blu-ray Bonus Features
Everything on this menu was fantastic.
My personal favorites include the tour of Walt’s office- something I’ve always wanted to experience in person-, the Live-Action model references, and the DCapella music video.
I just saw DCapella last week and if they are coming to your area, you MUST go!
Looking at the list of bonus features, these were easy predictions. I knew I’d fall in love with anything giving me more details on Walt’s day-to-day, or a behind the scenes look at movie making.
And since I described DCapella as Disney and Pitch Perfect had a baby- well, I knew I’d love to revisit that one!
We watched each bonus feature and loved every bit of them.
But there was one that really stood out for the Disney fans in this house.
Alan Menken and The Leading Ladies
So. So. Soooooo good!
I have a confession- I feel like I’m always making “unpopular Disney opinion confessions” these days over on our new weekly Disney specific LIVE shows (come join us!)- so I might as well admit this now.
I was going to skip over Alan Menken and The Leading Ladies. I’ve seen him interviewed before, watched him live at D23 Expo, and I’ve watched Jodi Benson a few times as well, so I thought- eh. I don’t need to watch this again, do I?
But my daughters wanted to know what that was all about, so we went ahead and hit play.
And then… I cried. I cried a lot of dorky Disney-nerd tears.
What on earth could make me so emotional? Take your pick.
Maybe it was Benson (voice of Ariel) talking about how she still feels Howard Ashman around her.
Or possibly it was Judy Kuhn (singing voice of Pocahontas) launching into Colors of the Wind, one of the best Disney songs ever.
Oh, I know- it was when I realized how absolutely spot on the animators were with the likeness & mannerisms of Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel in Tangled).
Nope… it was watching Lillias White take OVER and belt out songs from Hercules. GUYS. I have chills now just writing all this and will be putting the whole thing back on immediately. Ms. White is a GODDESS.
So. So. Soooooo good!
Pretty sure I said that before, but guys, I mean it! You’ll want to check this out if you love the songs of Disney movies over the past 30 years.
List of The Little Mermaid Blu-ray Bonus Features
BLU-RAY & DIGITAL
- Sing-Along Mode ? Sing along to the movie in this sing-along version of the film.
- Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song ? From the voice of a mermaid to the tunes of a muse, the music of Alan Menken has scored the soundtrack for some of Disney?s most iconic leading ladies. Join Alan, Jodi Benson (Ariel), Paige O?Hara (Belle), Judy Kuhn (Pocahontas Singing Voice), Lillias White (Calliope) and Donna Murphy (Mother Gothel)as we celebrate the music of their films in honor of the one that started it all ? ?The Little Mermaid.? In this discussion, the ladies will share their memories of musically creating their characters with Alan, discuss what it means to be part of the Disney Princess/leading lady legacy and create new memories as they sing with Alan around a baby grand piano.
- ?What I Want From You?Is YOUR VOICE? ? Enter the recording studio and get an inside look at the cast of ?The Little Mermaid? in their original recording sessions.
- Stories From Walt?s Office ? Gadgets & Gizmos ? Like Ariel, Walt Disney was a collector of many different things from miniatures to early mechanical characters that inspired the invention of audio-animatronics. We take a look at some the collections that Walt kept in his office in the third episode of this series.
- #TreasuresUntold ? Join Ruby Rose Turner and Olivia Sanabia from the Disney Channel Original Series ?Coop and Cami Ask the World? as they take a deep dive to explore some hidden treasures and fun facts about Disney?s ?The Little Mermaid.?
- DCapella ?Part of Your World? Music Video
- Classic Bonus Features ? revisit four exciting bonus features from previous releases including:
- Deleted Character: Harold The Merman
- Under The Scene: The Art Of Live Action Reference
- Howard?s Lecture
- Audio Commentary With Ron Clements, John Musker and Alan Menken
- ?Part of Your World? – A 30-Year Retrospective ? Songwriter Alan Menken and Jodi Benson, the acting and singing voice of Ariel, sing the epitome of Disney ?I Want? songs ?Part of Your World? and discuss its impact since it was first heard 30 years ago.
- Classic Bonus Features ? Over 3 additional hours of previously released classic bonus features including Deleted Scenes, Easter Eggs, Music Videos and more!
More Disney Movie Posts You’ll Love
Patty Holliday is a Marvel loving, Disney obsessed wife, and mother of four. She’s a travel agent specializing in Disney & Universal vacations- and loves a candid confession. Find her in Virginia (or anywhere frequent flyer miles or her trusty minivan takes her.)