The rideshare services like Uber and Lyft are fabulous options for travelers who don’t want the expense or liability of a rental car. Using Uber Orlando or Lyft Orlando can make getting around the theme parks easy, especially when you are in a mad hurry. Here’s your guide to using Uber Orlando and Lyft Orlando airport included!
I mean, you can’t be waiting on a Walt Disney World bus when your “I sold my firstborn for this Genie Plus Lightning Lane pass” is about to expire, amirite?
And the Universal Orlando shuttle service or water taxi can take a little too much time for my taste when I need to get to the Hard Rock Orlando Hotel for some nachos!
Here’s what you need to know about ridesharing around Orlando using Uber Orlando or Lyft Orlando.
Your Guide to Using Uber Orlando and Lyft Orlando
One of the aspects I love about traveling to Universal Orlando Resort and Walt Disney World has to be the fact that you don’t “need” a rental car.
Both locations offer plentiful, free transportation to get you and your family around the resorts safely.
But they aren’t always the fastest options.
I get a bit hangry when the resort bus takes almost an hour to get me to Disney Springs where my delicious chicken and donuts are waiting at Art Smith’s Homecoming.
And when you are at Universal, try hopping from the resort you are staying at over to another one and you’ll soon learn that “free” doesn’t always equate to best.
Time is money, especially when you are paying so much to stay at these theme parks!
That’s why I’m a believer in utilizing rideshare options like Uber and Lyft whenever it makes sense.
And, yes, sometimes it makes a lot of sense especially when you are on a tight time budget.
How To Use Lyft Orlando and Uber Orlando
It’s easy, I promise!
First, you’ll need to download the app of your choice. I have them both downloaded and accounts with each one.
Here’s how you can download (affiliate link) Uber.
And here’s how you can download (affiliate link) Lyft.
I take a few extra minutes to determine which service has a closer ride to me, and which one might be charging more at that particular moment.
At times. the services may charge more due to high demand (think New Year’s Eve, for example).
Be aware that just because it was a $6 trip this time, it may not be that cheap next time.
Next, you’ll type in your current location (or location services will choose it for you) and your destination choice.
Choose to order the ride and wait for your chariot. Within a few minutes, you’ll receive a notification in the app letting you know when your Uber or Lyft will arrive.
Uber Orlando airport rides and Lyft Orlando airport rides
Until recently, this was one issue with rideshares: you couldn’t grab one from the Orlando airport.
But now you can!
Both Uber and Lyft are available to pick you up from MCO.
Uber had a few prices listed, but be aware that these are just estimates! Uber can get you from:
- MCO to Downtown Orlando, starting at $27
- MCO to Convention Center, starting at $23
- MCO to Walt Disney World Resort, starting at $31
- MCO to UCF campus, starting at $28
How To Uber Or Lyft From MCO
Once you’re plane lands, you’ll be looking for the best way to get to Disney World or Universal!
Keep your eyes up for directional signs.
You’ll exit the short airport shuttle ride and look for the signs sending you toward ground transportation.
Once you reach the right floor for ground transportation, look for the signs directing you to rideshare pickup locations at the Orlando airport.
Outside, you will also see placards reminding you that safety comes first!
Keep this in mind when you decide to take an Uber or Lyft from the Orlando airport.
Why Use Rideshare Services like Uber Orlando and Lyft Orlando
Bonus answer: you get to ride is some nice vehicles you may never have a chance to check out otherwise.
The car dork in me finds that fun.
Resort buses do a good job moving a lot of people at a time, but they are not fast.
My friend Tania and I put Lyft to the test.
We left our friends at the bus stop (hey, they were invited on the ride but declined- we aren’t monsters!) and hopped in rideshare.
We were walking into the Magic Kingdom within 15 minutes.
Our friends showed up 45 minutes after us.
With that extra time, we saved by taking Lyft, we gained extra magic in the park.
We watched the Dapper Dans, hit up the popcorn stand, took some selfies, and flew to Neverland and visited the Haunted Mansion.
Boom. Time and money (about $7) well spent!
Using Rideshares at Disney World
Rideshares have become so popular that the Disney Parks have established locations for pick up and drop off at each theme park.
- Hollywood Studios drop off is located in the bus loops for Hollywood Studios. You can find the correct location by checking the bus directory at each park.
- Epcot’s rideshare is located in the main parking lot near the electric charging stations. You’ll walk out towards the parking lot through the main exit and the rideshare location for Uber or Lyft at Epcot will be on the left hand side.
- Magic Kingdom rideshare pick up is located in the Ticket and Transportation Center. It’s near the bus terminal. Disney’s Minnie Vans (returning June 29), however, drop you off in the Magic Kingdom bus loop.
- Animal Kingdom rideshare drop off location: when you exit the park, turn left. Walk along the sidewalk until you see a bus stop for off-property busses. This is where you will find the Animal Kingdom Uber or Lyft pick up.
- Disney Springs: two ride share locations. The West Side location is near the Cirque du Soleil theater and the Marketplace location is the old Disney bus stop area.
Rideshare Services In Orlando With Kids
Uber and Lyft are great options for adults, but you can also get around Orlando using rideshare when your kids are with you.
Orlando is one of the cities that offer the Uber Car Seat service.
I didn’t use these services myself, but you can learn exactly this works from Leslie at Trips with Tykes.
Heads up, parents: those car seats will cost you just a little more. But of course, so worth it for the safety of our kiddos.
The Minnie Van Service Fleet
** Update June 2022: The Minnie Vans are back! On June 29th they return to service at Walt Disney World. They were retired as a fleet in 2020.**
They announced their super adorable Minnie Van service.
The Minnie Vans are available at ALL Disney World resorts! A few select locations outside the parks are available as well.
Here’s everything you need to know about the Minnie Vans at Disney World.
Lyft Orlando Airport Minnie Vans Details
**This service is no longer offered November 17, 2021 It will not be available when the Minnie Vans return in 2022**
That’s right: you can ride to Disney World from the Orlando International Airport in the van with the dots!
You are now able to book the Minnie Vans to and from the MCO airport. But… it will cost you. Ahem.
How to book Lyft Orlando airport special (and admittedly adorable) rides:
- Booking is not available on the App. At least now when I’ve looked. But you can call Disney World Guest Services and arrange the ride in advance.
- The ride costs a flat fee of $150 each way. One way rides are available; you are not required to book a round trip Minnie Van on Lyft Orlando.
- You will need a few things when you make your Minnie Van reservation:- Your Contact Info (Email Address & Phone)
– Disney World Reservation Info
– Flight Info
– How many bags you will be traveling with
– How many people in the party
– How many car seats needed
– Credit Card for payment
- The driver will meet you at baggage claim when you arrive in MCO. That’s a nice extra!
- Cancellation for the Minnie Van from MCO is One Day prior to the trip.
- You will receive an email confirming your trip and payment; so be on the lookout for that!
- And the biggest reason you might want to take a Minnie Van to MCO with Lyft Orlando? You get to choose your departure time (unlike Disney’s Magical Express).The recommended time is 2 hours before flight departure.
Fast Facts About Uber Orlando & Lyft Orlando
- Rides are available 24 hours a day.
- You will need a smartphone and the apps to request a ride.
- Lyft seems to come in a little cheaper in the Disney World and Universal locations when I compared.
- The cars are clean and the drivers safe and vetted.
- Some vehicles will even offer water, gum, or other treats during your transportation. Always a nice bonus!
- You can tip on both Lyft and Uber now.
- All drivers appreciate 5-star ratings when it’s appropriate. Don’t forget the feedback after the ride.
- Both Uber and Lyft can be used to and from MCO.
- Car seats are available in some Uber vehicles.
More Orlando Posts You’ll Love
Patty Holliday is the owner and creator of all things No-Guilt Universe. As a lifelong fangirl and pop culture connoisseur, she’s been creating online since 2009. You can find her work at No-Guilt Disney.com, No-Guilt Fangirl.com, No-Guilt Life, and as host of the top-rated No-Guilt Disney Podcast.
Sunday 12th of June 2022
Can you get rides vis Lyft or Uber to hotels on International Drive?
Monday 13th of June 2022
Thursday 14th of March 2019
does uber pickup at Orlando airport and travel to Deland to brring someone to a residence. Wil be my first time using Uber.. Pretty much a rookie
Thursday 14th of March 2019
It will! You'll just download the app and then put the desired address in! They should take you pretty much anywhere in the area!
Tuesday 11th of September 2018
I would also vouch for Uber anytime
Tuesday 4th of September 2018
i had a very bad experience with lyft, i always suggest people to use uber which i think is the best.
Tuesday 19th of September 2017
Do you know if either service provides rides from the cruise port to MCO?
Wednesday 20th of September 2017
They should! It just wasn't available from MCO for a bit but the port should be good to go.